An agreement between you and a provider known as a “home warranty” will pay for repairs on a number of important appliances and house systems (such the air conditioner). Breakdowns brought on by normal wear and tear are often covered by home warranties.
To assist you in selecting the best house warranty for your residence, the This Old House Reviews Team examined hundreds of home warranty providers based on a range of criteria, including coverage plans and cost.
Home Warranty Companies
Liberty Home Guard
Appliance Guard, Systems Guard, and Total Home Guard are the three service package choices offered by Liberty Home Guard. LHG assigns a service call charge to your account depending on your plan, add-on choices, and the location of your house, unlike providers with adjustable service call fees.
Service charges, according to the business, run from $65 to $125. A $2,000 coverage cap applies to all LHG insured items, and a 60-day craftsmanship warranty is included.
The plans and add-on coverage options offered by LHG are described below:
- Covers appliances like dishwashers, clothes washers, and dryers. Appliance Guard ($49.99/month).
- (Monthly cost: $54.99) Systems Guard includes built-in systems like ductwork, water heaters, air conditioners, and heaters.
- Covers everything in the Appliance Guard and Systems Guard plans for $59.99 per month.
- Optional Add-ons: Up to 38 choices are available, including pest control, rekeying, gutter and floor cleaning and generator coverage.
Select Home Warranty
Bronze Care, Gold Care, and Platinum Care are the three plan options offered by Select Home Warranty. Service calls at Select cost between $60 and $75. Through covert shopping, our crew learned that Select only provides its decreased service call charge as a deal over the phone.
Plumbing, electrical, and appliances are covered up to $500 per item, while HVAC systems are covered up to $3,000. The plans from Select come with a 30-day workmanship warranty.
More information regarding Select Home Warranty’s plans is provided below:
- Appliances including cooktops, refrigerators, garbage disposals, and washers and dryers are covered under bronze care ($44.42 per month).
- Covers plumbing, electrical systems, water heaters, ducting, air conditioning, and heating systems for a monthly fee of $44.42.
- All the appliances and built-in systems in the Bronze and Gold Care plans are covered by Platinum Care ($47.75 per month), in addition to garage door openers and ceiling fans.
- Central vacuums, lawn sprinkler systems, swimming pools, septic tanks, spas, stand-alone freezers, sump pumps, and well pumps are optional add-ons.
First American Home Warranty
The Starter Plan, the Essential Plan, and the Premium Plan are the three plans that First American Home Warranty offers. First American charges variable service call rates between $75 and $125.
In its Starter and Essential plans, the coverage limit for appliances is set at $3,500 per item, and in its Premium Plan, appliance limitations are increased to $7,000 per insured appliance. Except for water heaters, the corporation doesn’t specify any strict coverage restrictions for built-in equipment. All covered repairs come with a 30-day warranty.
More information on First American’s plan coverage can be found here:
- Starter Plan: Covers built-in microwaves, dishwashers, ducting, heating, plumbing, ovens/cooktops, plumbing stoppages, and refrigerators for between $47 and $62 a month.
- Everything in the Starter Plan is included in the Essential Plan ($57-$72 a month), plus air conditioning, ceiling/attic/exhaust fans, washers, dryers, First American Advantage upgrade, garage-door openers, trash compactors, and water heaters.
- Every item listed in the Essential Plan is covered under the Premium Plan ($72–$87 per month), as well as full garage-door systems, instant hot water dispensers, and coverage for luxury appliances.
- Additional refrigeration, starter-plan air conditioning, HVAC maintenance, a small amount of roof leaks, pool and spa equipment, septic tank systems and pumping, water softeners, and well pumps are all optional add-ons.
2-10 Home Buyers Warranty
The most complete plan offered by 2-10, Pinnacle Home, includes all the components in the earlier plans as well as concrete or encased systems, disposal expenses, crane costs, and other things.
You can choose between a $65, $85, or $100 service call cost thanks to 2-10’s flexible service call pricing model. Like other businesses with flexible service call rates, your monthly costs will decrease as your service call charge increases.
The monthly costs for 2-10 are contrasted below:
- Appliances such as a built-in microwave, hob, dishwasher, oven, range and refrigerator with an ice maker are covered by Simply Kitchen ($22–$31 each month).
- Complete Home ($51–$60 per month): Includes all of the components of the Simply Kitchen plan as well as air conditioning, heating, internal gas lines, plumbing, electrical, thermostats and home systems.
- All the equipment in the first two plans, as well as attic and bathroom exhaust fans, are covered by Pinnacle Home ($65–$74 per month); burglar and fire alarms, interior and exterior, PEX manifold plumbing system, refrigerant recovery, cosmetic appliance parts, crane costs, electrical cut-off switches, faucets, faucet handles, filters, gas, waste, and vent piping leaks or breaks, concrete encased or concealed water lines, concrete encased or concealed wiring, concrete encased or concealed water lines, cosmetic appliance parts, haul away/disposal fees, and faucets and faucet handles.
For your home’s systems and appliances, ARW Home offers five protection plans: the Kitchen Plus, Heating and Cooling, Platinum, Platinum Premier, and 4-in-1 Bundle plans. Refrigerators and other common kitchen appliances are covered by its Kitchen Plus plan.
Humidifiers, heating, cooling, and electrical systems are all covered under the heating and cooling plan. The above-mentioned plans are combined in the Platinum plan, and additional coverage for plumbing systems is included in the Platinum Premier plan.
All of the aforementioned coverage options as well as additional add-on packages, like its Ultimate Electronics Protection plan, are included in its 4-in-1 Bundle.
All plans come with ARW Home’s regular $55 service call fee, which is less expensive than those charged by the majority of suppliers.
Below, compare the monthly costs and coverage choices offered by ARW Home.
- Cooktops, refrigerators, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, garbage disposals, and kitchen exhaust fans are all covered by Kitchen Plus ($39.99/month). includes internal electrical systems and water heaters as well.
- The entry-level package for ARW Home includes heating and cooling ($43.78 monthly). It encompasses internal electrical systems, humidifiers, and heating and cooling systems.
- Every aspect of the Platinum ($54.50 per month) and Heating and Cooling plans are covered. Because the Platinum plan excludes coverage for air conditioning, your monthly payment is less.
- Every aspect of the Platinum plan is covered by Platinum Premier ($64.99 a month), in addition to plumbing systems, ducting, garage door openers, and ceiling fans. If you want to reduce your monthly premium, the Platinum Premier plan is also available without air conditioning coverage.